Blog Hop Around the World

My wonderfully talented friend Kim Fleming has invited me to participate in The Blog Hop Around the World. Kim is a seasoned children’s book illustrator. Her latest book is about to be translated into French and is due to be released in Canada next year!


Kim’s contribution to the blog hop can be seen here, where you can enjoy a browse through her wonderful new website and trek back through the wealth of talented artists who have participated in this Blog Hop.

Here's a few more of my favourite Kim Fleming illustrations:




Ok, now for the blog hop.

Just as a quick introduction, my Name is Danielle McDonald and I live in rural NSW, Australia. After many years working as a product designer in Melbourne, I am now at home on the farm with my two lovely little girls, and my gorgeous husband, where I create illustrations for children’s books.


1. Why do I do what I do?
Passion. I don’t feel like I have a choice! It’s such a fundamental part of who I am….PLUS, it’s so much FUN! I would be creating, drawing and making even if it did not bring me any income. However, I have always believed in pursuing your dreams, so I have worked very hard to make sure that I am working in a career that I love.   



2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
This one is probably the toughest question for me to answer. I am not sure. I like to think it’s my quirky characters and my sense of colour, but I will let you be the judge of this one!




3. How does my creative process work?
This depends on the project of course! But generally I sketch lots of ideas, scan them into the computer and trace them off for finished artwork.


   


Sometimes I hand paint line work and colour everything up on the computer.



If I am working on childrens book artwork I tend to imagine the scene animated and then try to pick the best single frame/pose to capture and express that moment (yes, I DID used to want to be an animator!)



4. What am I working on now?
I have multiple projects on the go:



I am up to book number 14 in this lovely series called Ella and Olivia. It’s a gorgeous series of chapter books aimed at the 5-7yr old market, about two young sisters and their fun antics. I was lucky enough to design the logo, and the cover art (to establish the look and feel of the series,) and now I continue to create all of the full colour cover artwork, and the black and white line art for all of the internal illustrations.




I also have a TOP SECRET new chapter book series on the go that is due for release in January next year (2015). Here is the latest manuscript that I am about to start work on….it’s a long one!!



Another ongoing project for me has been this series of Readers created by Maureen Pollard from LittleLearners Love Literacy. Maureen is a passionate and highly experienced educator whose dedication to improving Literacy levels has inspired the development of her own reading program. Check out the website here for full details.


I also have a couple of other freelance projects on the go, but I can’t really share the details here.


So enough about me. I am delighted to hand you over to the wonderfully talented Christine Witte, who will continue this global blog hop through her beautiful blog here.


I first encountered Christine in Lilla Rogers MATSA course last year. Her style is so distinctive and unique and I am sure that many of you are already familiar with her work - especially if you are Spoonflower fans. 




Christine has a wealth of stunning products available from her Society 6 shop, and her Spoonflower shop, so be sure to head over there and have a look.

Comments

Popular Posts