REMEMBERING THE PASSION


I seem to have been drawing lots of cars lately, so I found this baby tee design from one of last years projects to share with you. Am getting towards the tail end of my freelance projects but it's been tough going this time. It's hard to fit everything in when you work full-time as well!

But somewhere along the line I have managed to read through the entire program for the e-course in creating a kids a book that I have subscribed to. I just could not resist racing through all of the pages, but I did ignore the exercises! I now need to go back through it and get actively involved. I opted for option of the course that just allowed me to access the program notes. If I want to get some feedback on my work and the exercises I will need to pay more for this service - but from what I've read I think I'd like to do that.

I think I may have mentioned that when I left I school I could not decide whether to follow writing or illustration. Even though I chose drawing, I still continued to write and explore this industry. Strangely enough, now that I am finally getting an handle on my illustration work, I realise that it's been at the expense of my writing. Ironically, I now have the skill base to actually be taken seriously in the illustration domain, yet have not attempted a story in some time. I guess that's what this course is about for me. It's been a way for me to get back in touch with the passion that I once had and am realising I really miss.

Another reality check that I have had is that most of the illustration work I have been doing on a full-time basis has been product based. It's all about looking good at retail so that someone will pick it up and buy it. Now I need to get back to imagery that communicates, tells a story and expresses personality - even without words. Again, I used to naturally work this way, and really miss it.

One last realisation is that I used to read a lot more! Somewhere along the line I felt the pressure that I should be reading "grown up" books. The problem with this is that I am a fussy reader and have started so many that I never read past the first 2-3 chapters. Most of my book shelves are filled with the likes of Roald Dahl and J.K. Rowling - along with a stunning collection of kids books that I am particularly proud of (but needs updating!) I realise now that there's nothing wrong with reading junior or kids stuff. In fact, the notes I have been reading have been encouraging me to immerse myself in these books.

So here's to re-kindling the passion, and remembering that it's never too late to chase your dreams.



Type the rest here

Comments

Ratlion said…
"So here's to re-kindling the passion, and remembering that it's never too late to chase your dreams."

Amen!

:)
lil kim said…
Hey Dan, somehow I don't think you'll have any problems keeping the passion alive - you seem like an inherently passionate person to me.

Good luck with the picture book course. I am actually signing up for one too - through Vic Uni. Excited!

Popular Posts